Lakes Economic Development Association (LEDA) is a community-regional based society currently co-funded by The Corporation of the Village of Burns Lake and the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako. LEDA was developed as an expanded non-profit organization and a catalyst for strengthening and diversifying the local economy.
The Mission of the Lakes Economic Development Association
- To lead, facilitate and support community economic development practices and projects for the Governing Board;
- To act strategic by nature; promoting change with long-term sustainability; increasing community involvement, capacity and empowerment; and
- To strive for economic, environmental, social and cultural balance.
LEDA’s Staff provides assistance to local and area businesses, entrepreneurs, and economic sector groups (Forestry, Agriculture, Mining, Tourism, and Alternative Energy), with recruitment and initiatives that contribute to overall economic growth, diversification, and community sustainability.
To date, LEDA has played a significant role in the economic development of Burns Lake through leadership and participation in the following positive initiatives:
- Liaison work and preliminary negotiations for a co-generation plant to be established in the Burns Lake area;
- Facilitation of monthly discussion group meetings and assistance with implementation of actionable items;
- Development, distribution and analysis of an Agriculture Survey encompassing the entire Lakes District;
- Investigation and promotion of value-added initiatives for all community economic sector groups;
- Development of downtown revitalization strategy building and action plans, marketing and trade show plans, as well as promotional packages for international investors;
- Funding research and proposal development for community projects, including the Spirit Square, Community Alternative Energy, replacement of Village Entrance signage and banners, and prescription development and fuel mitigation activities related to the Mountain Pine Beetle epidemic.
In addition to maintaining current services and projects, LEDA’s goals for 2010 include supporting community initiatives such as foreign investment opportunities, marketing the Lakes District, and hosting public forums for all economic sector groups.
- To promote and provide community economic development services in the Lakes Area;
- To promote the stabilization, stimulation, and diversification of the economy in the Lakes Area;
- To assist and support businesses and economic development organizations in Lakes Area;
- To market, promote, coordinate and manage all services described in the Society's purposes; and
- To do all other things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the economic development of the Lakes District area.
LEDA's Governing Board:
|The Village of Burns Lake||Mayor Bernice Magee|
|Area B Director - RDBN||Bill Miller|
|Financial Administrator - RDBN||Hans Berndorff|
|Chief Administrative Officer - Village of Burns Lake||Tim Palmer|
LEDA's Board of Directors:
Brenda Hiebert (Chair)
Thomas Pfister (Vice-Chair, Independant Consultant)
Jack Brown (Secretary/Treasurer)
Bill Miller (Area B, Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako)
John Illes (Ministry of Forest)
John Phair (College of New Caledonia representative)
Doug Bysouth (Hampton Affiliates - Babine Division)
John Nooski (Burns Lake Native Development Corporation)
Mike Robertson (Cheslatta Carrier Nation)
Cindy Shelford - Economic Development Officer
Laurie Reimer - Proposal Writer
Mandi Anderson - Administrative and Research Assistant